Thursday, January 10, 2013

Even Road Warriors Get Weary

Bournebridge

We've been on the road since Decemeber 20th and a twindge of homesickness came over me just as we began this last leg of the trip. After culminating two beautifully rich and full weeks in the region of my origin, giving emotional farewells and then after sleeping (sort of) in our little vehicle and driving who-knows-how-many hours toward our next destination south, I began to feel weary.

I miss my cats and my kitchen and our bed. Everywhere we've stayed so far with wonderfully hospitable family and friends who've had sweet, adorable pets, either fluffy cats or friendly-giant-type dogs and comfy places for us to sleep. One of my favorite parts of this trip was having the chance to cook delicious and nourishing meals for and with my mom who wants to find more tasty ways to eat healthy. Everywhere we go, I always bring my favorite spices for those chances I get to cook our favorite meals and so I can add cinnamon to my coffee in the morning for that sip of home. My laptop desktop has an image of Sammy, my cat at home who sits at my desk with me every morning to write morning pages.

Hlsleeping

We've slept in our vehicle a coupletimes (even though we don't have the van with the futon this trip) because sometimes it's too much of a hassle and too time-consuming to check into a hotel when you're making a 20+ hour drive. Occassionally, I can get comfortable and sleep plenty, but two night's ago, I think I slept maybe 3 hours. So last night, we stayed in a hotel to get a good night's sleep, workout and wash up. This was very good choice and I'm grateful we had the option.

For meals, it's a combination of Larabars, baby carrots, banans, nuts and so on; occassionally oatmeal from Starbucks and last night I was able to put a huge Subway veggie salad in a good sprouted whole grain Ezekiel wrap along with some Whole Foods hummus - something you can do when you take the salad to go and eat it in your vehicle. A decent meal for one on the road and I felt super grateful.

We're looking forward to our time in Memphis. I'll be sharing music at a conference that I trust will be full of people who care about meaningful community building and the movement of Love in our world. They think about things like the intersection of art, spiritual life and genuine human connection in the midst of our fractured culture and other things that are also important to me and to our work. I'm excited to connectwith people from around to country who'll resonate with the heartbeat of the music and perhaps we'll meet up with potential partners in co-creating meaningful connection and together share the enlivening gift of music.

We're also planning to visit The Civil Rights Museum and with Dr. King as a key influencer in my writing, I couldn't be more thrilled to do this. I plan to go with eyes, mind and heart wide open, ready to write more songs inspired by the story of this great struggle for equality and peace.

Hotelhauling

I do feel tired this morning as I type at a hotel desk, but I intend to continue on well for these few more days on the road I'll breath a little deeper and express gratitude for all the goodness I can possibly see. Yes, I'll drink coffee but I'll also get in some exercise and personal space to write so I'm not wasting energy on the clutter in my head. I'll look forward to stimulating conversation and new connections. And when we do finally get home, I'll be just as grateful as we begin to further engage and fulfill visions for an abundant 2013!

Thank you for sharing in this road of both bliss and sweat, a little weariness and a lots of wonder! Bests to you and yours this day.

Love,

Heatherlyn

Shenandoahsunrise

No comments: