Monday, April 11, 2011

Accepting the AWARE Award with Youthrive: LIVE! // Our Story

2011-aware_awards_square

One of our partners in music and community engagement is Youthrive: LIVE!. They brought Heatherlyn Music (myself and Jason) along with two other artists (Rodrigo Sanchez-Chavarria and Tish Jones) to the Summit to Prevent Sexual Violence hosted by the Minnesota Coalition Against Sexual Assault back in Dec of 2009.

Youthrive: LIVE! was selected by MNCASA as a 2011 AWARE award honoree and the artists were invited to accept the award on their behalf. We are so blessed to have the chance to work with these quality individuals and to partner with these healthy, effectively impactful organizations. It was wonderfully encouraging to be recognized and affirmed for the work we are doing.

"Heatherlyn gave an amazing presentation that captivated the room

and had people laughing and crying at the same time. You could hear a pin drop."

READ more from from Youthive: LIVE! about the artists at the Summit to Prevent Sexual Violence. Love these guys.

AWARE AWARD PRESENTATION // YOUTHRIVE: LIVE! ACCEPTANCE SPEECHES ~ Here's Callie Aguilar, Larry Lucio, Rodrigo Sanchez-Chavarria and myself - collectively addressing and thanking AWARE Awards participants. Thanks to Larry Lucio (Founder and Organizer of Youthrive: LIVE!) for the opportunity and for capturing this moment.

HEATHERLYN's PRESENTATION, with story and song, addressing why this is everybody's business at the Summit to Prevent Sexual Violence, DEC 2009. (This is one of the most personal, difficult stories I've ever shared and I'm not sure I've ever been so emotionally charged. I wasn't about to cry, but I felt like I could hardly contain myself in my own body.)

I was encouraged again when Cordelia Anderson spoke with me following the ceremony. She's a delightful human being and also an effecive leader, communicator and mobilizer in sexual violence prevention. She told me she's been sharing the video of my presentation as a part of her keynote addresses around the country as an example of connecting personal story, arts, awareness and social change. That blows me away and encourages me to keep growing. It's also quite a pertinent and timely word to me as the forthcoming album is entitled 'Storydwelling'...more on that another time. =)

 

HEATHERLYN's BLOG POST ABOUT THE INITIAL EVENT for which Youthrive: LIVE! received the award.

FULL PHOTO GALLERY of the AWARE Awards Ceremony.

No comments: