Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A Minnesota Summit to Prevent Sexual Violence

In December of 2009, MNCASA (Minnesota Coalition Against Sexual Assault), in partnership with the Minnesota Departments of Health and Corrections and others hosted a Summit in St. Paul, MN, the first of it's kind in the nation, to focus on Sexual Violence Prevention. (SEE NEWS COVERAGE!)


Heatherlyn Music got to participate through our partnership with Youthrive LIVE! and present alongside other artists, such as the eloquent spoken word artist Rodrigo Sanchez-Chavarria and Tish Jones, who care about this issues.


It meant more to me than I realized it would to present at this Summit. I've journeyed very closely with a survivor of rape and sexual harassment. I've witnessed the pain and deep impact upon her self-esteem, well-being and sense of empowerment. Before, singing Put On Your Climbing Shoes, I briefly & discretely shared a portion of her story and how it illustrated the fact that this is "everybody's business" and integrated leadership is vital to movement forward.

Whether someone is a business owner, a high school principal, a parent, a civil servant, a neighbor - we all have to have an awareness and the determination to stand up for the dignity and safety of ourselves and others.


I had the honor of sharing the stage with Patty Wetterling, a leading Minnesota activist, U.S. advocate for children. At the close of the day, she came up to me and hugged me before I even realized who it was! Then she thanked me and told me I was eloquent! That meant a ton to me. =)


Be sure to click on the links above to learn more about this issue and see how you may be involved!!

1 comment:

Togenberg said...

Amen Heatherlyn
You rock!

Sexual violence ruins and wounds so deeply and thoroughly. I am always encouraged to see people involved in preventing and helping victims deal with it. Thanks for doing that, being involved.
Troy