Thursday, January 3, 2013

A Tribute to My Piano Teacher :: 2012 Retrospective Vignettes

P209

In 2012, I began studying piano again after 10 years! My current piano teacher gets me in an especially fitting way. She connects to my style of learning and appreciates my insatiable curiosity for music.

The first time we met for a session, I was telling her some of my experience to give her a sense of my background. I shared with her matter-of-factly: "I had 2 semesters of Music Theory in College and I just sucked at it." Without a moment's hesitation, she compassionately said, "Awh, that probably just means your teacher didn't understand the best way to teach you." Suddenly, I realized, all this time, I'd thought I did poorly in those courses because there was something wrong with me. Now, there was nothing wrong with my teacher. He was fine. We simply just didn't get each other and I was often made to feel that what I brought to class was less than sufficient. He wasn't the only one, over the years, positioned above me who didn't seem to believe in me. Naturally, I thought I wasn't working for the course rather than that the course wasn't working for me because I was the one being evaluated and graded and not measuring up.

Back to summer of 2012: when my piano teacher said those words, I literally thought: "You mean it's not because I'm stupid [about music]!?!" I had no idea I even needed compassion; but she gently interrupted my train of thought and shook up a belief I've had about myself for years, a frame of mind that has held me back and made me feel inferior to other musicians for far too long.

In the coming year, we'll continue to work together - not to mention, have a whole lot of fun - with her incredible, integrative style: the basis of piano alongside some guided listening, theory, music history and connection to other arts. This dear teacher of mine generously and colorfully enriches my life and has been a conduit of healing and grace. I feel liberated to learn and not stop just because of my age or whatever silly reason. I'm so excited to keep learning more and share with you all the new songs that will come to life because of this wonderful instrument now becoming a more regular part of my life.

Here's to good teachers and here's to a vibrant 2013!

With gratitude and joy,
Heatherlyn

No comments: