Monday, September 3, 2012

When I Get Frustrated...I Still Believe in Love...

Img_3284
Sometimes, when I get frustrated, I have to remind myself that judging those I perceive to be judgmental will not effect positive change; intolerance of the intolerant will not bear the fruit of equality; nor will withholding love from those I perceive to be unloving convince anyone to love.

Compassion is always the way to healing - compassion toward my own anger and fear, compassion toward those I perceive to be working against values I hold dear.

Reconciliation is the full, the ultimate, the final, complete consummation of justice.

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., in Strength to Love said it this way along with many other marvelous thoughts on the transformative power of love: "Darkness cannot drive out darkness. Only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate. Only love can do that."

Some say love is overrated. But I still believe in Love - in kindness and in forgiveness - and I believe we have only begun to unlock the possibility and power held within these. We are given plentiful opportunities to practice persistent patience. Over time, that's what will create indelible impressions on a stone cold heart in the same way soft, steady streams carve hard, rocky mountains. 

Optimistic_hope

It seems, sometimes, I'm wasting energy on my determination to be right over even the very principles and virtues about which I believe I'm right. Surely, much more will be accomplished with humility, focusing energy and intentions on being a presence of love, a channel of peace, a hopeful, healing movement; rather than recklessly pouring energy onto the ever-consuming flame of my own ego. Focusing on desired outcomes, facing and moving toward what I'm *for* rather than looking and pushing back what I'm *against* seems like a more productive way to expend my energies and resources.

These are some of the simple thoughts I'm contemplating this afternoon, some things I'm thinking about as I consider life and as I song-write.

May Peace embrace us all as we embrace each other. May Hope keep us strong as we stand with each other. May Grace be our song as we dance with each other.

~ Heatherlyn

www.heatherlynmusic.com

No comments: