Monday, September 6, 2010

Toni :: A Story of Abundance and Connection

It was a hot and humid summer evening in Minneapolis on University Ave, so we were glad our gig was inside an air conditioned venue. I rarely do coffee shop gigs at this point, since they really don't help pay the bills but we were available to do this and thought it would be fun. The space was fairly bare in terms of audience. But Toni was there, selling her hand-crafted, beaded jewelry, which was intricately detailed and beautifully unique. I was really drawn in by the colors and immediately marveled especially at the turtle earrings that hung from her display.

Jason and I set up our equipment. A couple of our friends came along with the sporadic customer just passing through to pick up some coffee. I simply enjoyed the time to sing in a really beautiful space with great acoustics. As usual, I talked in a personable fashion with the handful of people there and Toni was quite open, expressive.

She was on a bit of a high because the local news had come through and interviewed her on what the traffic passing by the coffee shop was like due to rerouting from Highway 94 to the Avenue. She had clearly enjoyed the camera and between songs, she shared tidbits more of her story - how she had once traveled and played guitar but now plays the native flute. She’s self taught but inspired by her Native American father. She has lived on the streets at one point and man, she was digging the songs I sang.She seemed deeply moved by the music and shared: "If I had money, I'd buy a CD." I asked from behind my microphone if she'd like to trade. I had to keep playing, but Jason talked with her before she needed to go. She remembered I was admiring her turtle earrings and told Jason: "I want her to have the whole set". She handed him the earrings AND a necklace.

She hugged me before leaving and it was another moment of deep, genuine human connection, one of those profound moments that makes me marvel, one of those moments when two stranger simultaneously realize they are both a part of the same human family.

I did not know what she exchanged with Jason until after the show and I was blown away, so moved that she would give such a beautifully intricate, hand-crafted gift in exchange for the gift she received through the LIVE music and the CD.

In Native American culture, the turtle represents a long and beautiful life. I wish that for her and for all of us: a long and beautiful life that we can all be part of creating for one another as we are open, attentive and willing to let a stranger become a friend.

No comments: