Thursday, September 30, 2010

Defining Music?


I do very much enjoy this definition provided by an old dictionary I saw in the Library Recording Studio (where we are working on the forthcoming album).

But I began to wonder and got curious about others thoughts too:

Is music really definable?

If it is, is my experience with it really describable?

Is the value of "good" music really quantifiable?

What makes some music good and some not? Seems like part of the answer would be entirely objective and the other, entirely subjective. How much does artistry, creativity and expression, precision, mastering of an instrument... matter in this?

Feel free to chime in through the comments here or leave a note on my facebook wall.

Rhythm and melody...I love to imagine initial tones and beats in the air and I wonder about those who continued to explore those sonic vibes and create instruments.

Here's a song I really enjoy called Voice and Drum by artist Nati Rosethal.

No comments: