Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Roosevelt High School ~ Portland, OR :: May 2010 Pacific Northwest Tour

A teacher of Roosevelt High came to the show we did on Alberta Street in Portland. I'm so glad that in that context he had the imagination to invite us to spend time with the students at his school. He invited us to present story and songs for the students during first period in their choir room the following Wednesday morning. He believed, because of my own story (born fatherless, raised by a single mom and the accompanying challenges) AND value of authentic connection, there would likely be some resonance for the students.

This student body portrays giftedness, initiative and care beyond themselves. The community is vibrant with diversity, culture and creativity. And even though there are significant, ongoing economic injustices and challenges in this neighborhood, I saw posters created by students inviting all to attend a benefit concert hosted by student performers to benefit Haiti, "the most impoverished country in the Western Hemisphere".

Though Roosevelt High School is a public school, the open campus policy of Oregon allows students and their families to choose which high school to attend. When this policy was enacted, those with more resources of transportation or what-have-you left Roosevelt High School, in the St. John's neighborhood, which tends to be underfunded and put in last place for resources to upgrade facilities, etc. There is a lot of school pride and community pride, but the garbage along the walls of the choir room along with the ants crawling in the water fountain told me that morale might some days tend to be low. Meeting the Roosevelt High students was enjoyable.

I shared with the students that I was glad to be there because I believe that all of us - you and I, we are stars. We all have a unique gift and light to shine, to be channels of goodness and positive change in our world, and it's important to me to see that young people remember this is true for them.

The students and teachers were very welcoming and gracious to both Jason and I as we came into their space, met them and presented. During the Q & A time, someone simply asked how I liked Portland and I said, "I really enjoy Portland. I'm a vegetarian, so this is really working for me. Portland seems very hospitable." One student blurted out: "Hospitable!?! We're family!" Me: "Nice, I like that." :-)

One student, sweet and sincere, approached me afterward, struggling to speak to me through his stutter. I so deeply appreciated his efforts and success - asking for a photo, saying "Thank you" and presenting me with orange and green guitar pics that he had with him but "doesn't use very much". I gave him a red one since he didn't have that color in his hand.

A gal with big eyes and soft curly hair in a side ponytail told me that she and her cousin share a dream to begin a music and drama program along with a community theatre on the Hawaiian Island where she was born. She said there currently are no such programs. She and her cousin would like to introduce more instruments to supplement the drums and ukulele. This is a dream I hope she will keep alive!

We learned that some students are involved in a Civil Rights class where they're working with local artists to write poetry - their "Deep Roots" collection - expressing what they are learning and feeling about civil rights. They are headed off on a civil rights trip to Selma, Birmingham and Montgomery to continue learning and also will be visiting colleges. This has already, in previous trips, ignited the imagination of students for possibilities beyond their current circumstances.

I'm thankful for the teachers and volunteers we met who truly care about these students and who are doing their best to empower and enrich their lives. I hope someone with the political power and resources begins to pay attention to the beauty and potential of these incredible young people.

As we were packing up, I joined the choir in some of their vocal exercises, and on the way out a girl said to me, "It's really cool that you came today. I hope you come back next year." I replied, "I hope so too. I'd like that."

The following weekend, we returned to Roosevelt High School for their Inspirations Week and Deep Roots CD release party. Students who wrote poetry and spoken word about civil rights and local artist who put some of those lyrics to music shared the stage to perform, present and lift their voices. We were welcomed to share in this celebration and witness further the students creative initiative and how they inspire community involvement.

MORE PHOTOS on our SMUG MUG GALLERY.

No comments: