Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Bliss and Sweat ~ a day in the life of heatherlyn music

Yesterday was my first day officially as a full-time (meaning every moment of my waking hours...and even some of my dreaming), self-sustaining, independent singer/song-artist. Many have asked what I'm up to....

Creativity/Artistry

There are daily practices I’ve discovered I need to nurture my inner artist, be ready for inspiration and simply BE an artist. These practices include daily writing, healthy balanced eating, physical activity and creativity.

Daily writing: I definitely write more than once many days, but EVERY morning, the very first thing I do is put pen to paper. I have no guidelines or expectations from this. I write whatever comes to mind and write freely until I fill at least three long-hand pages. For me this is like morning meditation. Often it clears my head and even helps me prioritize the day.

Eating well: This regularly includes some kind of small culinary adventure. We eat pretty simply and close to the earth in our house. Fresh veggies and fruit, whole grains, lentils or beans, homegrown herbs and spices are our basic staples and I find a different way for us to enjoy them regularly. This actually doesn’t take as much time as it seems.

Physical activity: Daily exercise may include a brisk walk or dancing to Michael Franti in my living room. I’ve learned I must do this to have energy, clarity and focus. I have had an underactive thyroid since my teen years so these two practices are vital to a healthy being.

Creativity: I need to do something at least weekly that is playful like coloring, splashing watercolors, dancing, viewing an art display, a nature walk, listening to a live performer….

Practicing
I’m practicing guitars, keys, percussion, and vocals to keep improving my skills. There are many songs that I have already crafted that I need to hone and make better, always reviewing old and new material and being sure it’s prepared or ready to be shared in a fresh way. I’m practicing to a metronome to keep improving my sense of rhythm and solidly execute each strum.

I review notebooks in which I’ve scribbled lines of poetry or song ideas and I pick one to expand upon. A quick Wikipedia review of a topic along with some of my own scribbly brainstorming on a theme births carefully crafted words, which lay the foundation for a brand new tune.

Some days I'm also recording, but not lately...

Preparation/Presentation
Time and thought is spent preparing for various events. Many shows have a slight variation one to the next depending on the theme or audience.
Presentation pieces related to a particular issue of justice necessitate that I do basic research, keep myself informed, and write out thoughts that connect the music to a particular issue or organization.

Getting Down to Business
We are our own manager, booking agents, promotions, etc. So we do all that work of making calls, following up, booking shows, scheduling meetings to prep for a particular event. Then we manage all the details and promotions for each event with each corresponding contact. Networking over coffee, the phone, online, exploring and developing ideas and discovering possibilities for partnership are all parts of a day in the life for Heatherlyn Music.
[press kits, sending materials, cdbaby, facebook, myspace, web updates, blog, media, editing, equipment, maps/directions, composing emails and proposals….]

Time is spent writing updates like this for you the friends and fans that we depend on and we hope you’ll join us on this fantastic adventure of bliss and sweat.

No comments: